Linda's Faith & Friends

Linda's Faith & Friends

Sunday, June 20, 2010

God's Timing part 2

Our Pastors are doing a series of sermons throughout the summer on the book of Acts.   Today's sermon was taken from Act 6:8-8:1,  Stephen's appearance before the Sanhedrin.   Part of the outstanding message was about Stephen's forgiveness toward those who stoned him.

In Acts 7: 59-60   "While they were stoning Him, Stephen prayed, Lord Jesus receive my spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out,  "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep."

It was compared to Jesus when he extended forgiveness to those who had murder in their hearts when he was crucified.

My Bible had a paragraph added for study. These two lines  are from there.   "Forgiveness isn't easy, forgiveness doesn't mean the person deserves forgiveness. Forgiveness means letting go of the people and the situation and letting God do His work."

The Lord was preparing me with my devotions the other day and this scripture today for Father's Day. I don't have the wonderful memories that so many have shared on their blogs today.  Several years ago, during counseling with a Christian counselor,  I learned that I needed to be able to forgive my father for what he had done--but that didn't mean I had to have a relationship with him.  Yes, I have forgiven him and I do pray for him that someday he will know our Lord and Savior.  That sometime he will realize what he lost and all the damage he created.  I hope and pray that someday he ask forgiveness from the Lord and from those he hurt so deeply.

3 comments:

  1. (((Linda))) I like what your Bible's paragraph said about forgiveness. Rich Warren in a Purpose Driven Life says something very similar in that you can forgive a person but you don't have to forget what they did and you don't have to trust them right again, that they have to earn back that trust. I'm so sorry you didn't have a Godly father and that he hurt you so very deeply. you are so wise to pray for him and to not allow bitterness to creep into your life because of him. I do hope one day he does come to know Jesus because without him, you know your dad has no hope......

    hugs to you

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Linda for sharing. Forgiveness is hard. Sometimes it's something I have to do daily. Praying for the person helps me alot to get past it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thank you for sharing, too. Your words were a comfort to me.

    ReplyDelete